TBGBL Talk V 3.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TBGBL Talk V 3.0

The Even Newer Forum to Discuss the Toronto Baseball Guys Baseball League

You are not connected. Please login or register

Papelbon For The Henke, #1 Save Total!!

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Papelbon For The Henke, #1 Save Total!! Empty Papelbon For The Henke, #1 Save Total!! Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:23 am

RAWKEN HAWKS

RAWKEN HAWKS

Yes Jonathan Papelbon ended up with the #1 save total in the league, obviously a key stat for closers!  In addition, of the major contenders he had the lowest ERA at 1.06 (compared to Holland at 1.80).  Papelbon had 53 games finished (more than Holland's 46) and he had an OPS of .457 (Holland much worse at .605).
Papelbon contributed 7 wins and gave up ZERO home runs all season with a WHIP of .90 (Holland had 2 wins and 5 homers against with a pedestrian WHIP of 1.22). And Holland was perfect converting saves but don't look past his 4 losses.
We do have very good contenders with not much to choose from between them, but Papelbon has the numbers to win this award!

Markham Squeeze

Markham Squeeze
Admin

Wow, smear campaign....

RAWKEN HAWKS

RAWKEN HAWKS

Markham Squeeze wrote:Wow, smear campaign....

Smear no...Stats yes. Very close choice, Holland is worthy, just showing Papelbon is more worthy.

RAWKEN HAWKS

RAWKEN HAWKS

Like the intro said, don't be bashful and post your player's dominance.

5Papelbon For The Henke, #1 Save Total!! Empty :) Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:22 pm

Markham Squeeze

Markham Squeeze
Admin

I prefer to build up my own candidate instead of tear down his direct competition.....

But since you mentioned it.

Papelbon blew 6 saves in 37 chances.
Holland blew 0 saves in 30 chances.

I'm a big peripherals guy most times, but as the only job of a closer is to "close" games, I think that this success rate is a pretty big deal.... but here's another key stat for relievers:

Papelbon's inherited runners scored rate - 20.8%
Holland's inherited runners scored rate - 11.5%

Drops mic.

RAWKEN HAWKS wrote:Like the intro said, don't be bashful and post your player's dominance.  

RAWKEN HAWKS

RAWKEN HAWKS

If you only have two cards, play them both repeatedly...I guess you're a peripheral guy when it suits...Hendricks was very good this year and the job of a starter is to give his team a chance to win with quality starts...doesn't mean he was better than Arrieta who was #1 in a ton of pitching stats...
And in the interest of correct information, Papelbon had 5 blown saves not 6...
Arrieta=Papelbon
Holland=Hendricks
Worthy but not worthy enough...

Markham Squeeze

Markham Squeeze
Admin

Why are we talking about Hendricks & Arrieta? Anyways, good luck to you Warren.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]