TBGBL Talk V 3.0

The Even Newer Forum to Discuss the Toronto Baseball Guys Baseball League

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hall of Fame Voting

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Hall of Fame Voting on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:53 pm

Just a word to the wise for Hall of Fame voters.  
Historical reference isn't just a comparison to other retired players but to current active players.  If every schmoe gets in then we will have a hall bursting with hundreds and hundreds of players.

I checked the historical numbers and please note there are 30 players with more than 400 homers and 18 of those players are still active and will be putting up even more numbers in the coming seasons.
There are a whopping 77 players with over 1,000 RBIs.  David Ortiz should hit more than 900 homers in his career by the time it's done (if he can have a pretty good 2016 in MLB which will give him 4 more seasons in the TBGBL) plus he is one of 8 players over or very close to 2,000 RBIs...

By anyone's standards I think excellence plus longevity need to go hand in hand.  In MLB there are many. many players who were elite for a short period of time and disappeared.  Obviously not hall of famers.

I'd hate to see players in the Hall of Fame who had a couple of good seasons but ended up with numbers no better than Mark Reynolds (304 HR, 776 runs, 835 RBIs)....

Just saying....

Last edited by RAWKEN HAWKS on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

2 Re: Hall of Fame Voting on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:35 am

I think in a few seasons we'll be sorry that guys with just over 400 homers and 1,300-1,500 RBIs have got voted in.  Those kinds of numbers will be dwarfed soon enough (as they already have been by Miggy, Ortiz, Pujols, ARoid, Holiday, Teixera, Beltre).  Guys approaching or topping 600 homers and near or over 2,000 RBIs are looking like the future standard....
I'm sorry I voted in guys like Vladdy and Thome last season...Those numbers will be relatively ordinary when all is said and done...From what I see...

View user profile

3 Re: Hall of Fame Voting on Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:34 am

If guys play 20 seasons in MLB, they could play 40 seasons in this league. I think we will see a player with more than 5000 hits. That's the definition of a hall of famer.

I think we need to pick our hall of famers carefully.

I think we might need a committee to remove people from the hall of fame in the future.

View user profile

4 Sorry, but no. on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:25 am

Boys, I appreciate your particular brand of interest.

The players going into the HOF are players who were generally drafted in the 1st round every year or who were keepers. They were the elite of the elite, and every player in that HOF is (in my mind) worthy of being in it.

You want a small Hall. Fine, that's your personal preference....

But.... let's not try to crush the fun out of something that we created to be FUN.

Seriously guys, lighten up.

View user profile

5 My two cents. on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:40 am

When I look at voting for a player, I ask the following:

Was he one of the very best at his position for a reasonable period of time? (That time might be variable for others)
Did he make a considerable impact on the league history?
How much Red ink (league leaders) does he have on his page?
Did he win a number of League Awards?
Does he hold a number of League Records?

While counting stats are important, and the HOF standard numbers (3000H, 500HR, 300 Wins, 3000K) might change, I think the above questions hold just as much merit.

It's a Hall of Fame for a Simulated Fantasy League that we play. Let's be honest... there are no travesties here. It's designed to be fun, let's remember that.

I hope everyone is enjoying the HOF Vote. It's a labour of love for me, as I go through all the stats to create the ballots, statpacks and plaques.

View user profile

6 Re: Hall of Fame Voting on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Both sides here have merit: Owners need to remember that players could see 40 seasons worth of counting stats; 500 homers may not be that big a deal. And some players will be dominant but for only a few seasons --- that's why it's a vote!

View user profile

7 Re: Hall of Fame Voting on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:11 am

any update on the HOF vote? just curious to see the results!

View user profile

8 HOF Voting on Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:57 am

HOF voting will be posted on the site and announced via Facebook at the start of the draft this Sunday night.

Bananas wrote:any update on the HOF vote? just curious to see the results!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum